Von der Leyen: Will fight back against US tariff policy if necessary

0

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said at a plenary session of the European Parliament held in Strasbourg, France on the 1st that the EU has a strong counter-measure plan and will fight back against the US tariff policy if necessary. Von der Leyen said that the US’s practice of imposing tariffs is wrong and that this confrontation was not provoked by the EU. The EU is willing to reach a solution through negotiations with the US. If necessary, the EU will implement a strong plan to counter the United States and protect the interests of EU companies and people. “We have everything we need to protect our people and prosperity… We have the power to negotiate and the power to fight back.” She said. US President Trump recently signed a notice announcing a 25% tariff on imported cars, which will take effect on April 3. Previously, he had announced a 25% tariff on imported steel and aluminum products, and planned to impose “reciprocal tariffs” from April 2. Von der Leyen said that the next batch of affected industries will include semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and wood. She said that widespread tariffs will only make the international trade situation worse. “Tariffs will only increase inflation, which is exactly the opposite of what we want to achieve. American factories will pay higher prices for parts produced in Europe, which will lead to job cuts.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *